Saturday, August 28, 2010

Doctor on Wheels-Part Two

I was confused and did not know what to say. It appeared that this lady was traveling for the first time outside her state. They got married recently and were on the way to his work place in Delhi. They had a stop over at Bangalore to visit some relatives.
Any way I told her nothing to worry, and promised all the possible help.

I went & talked to the T.T.E [Ticket Examiner], but he appeared not very keen. When I insisted, he said all he could do was to send a message to next major railway station where a doctor’s service could probably be arranged. But that was more than four hours of run. I knew that it was not going to help.

I had asked the TTE whether he could make the train stop in the immediate station so that we could search for help. His body language itself conveyed his outright disapproval.
It was evident that he was not going to do anything out of the way.

By then I could hear hapless lady’s feeble sobs. I went back to her, and consoled her.
“Don’t worry; we are making arrangements for a doctor’s visit. You make him comfortable & relaxed.” She nodded in agreement and smiled through her tears.

I didn’t leave the TTE, and had quizzed him for a possible alternative.
Sensing my determination, he came out with a new idea. “Possibly some doctor will be on board. You can try your luck!”

This made me remember the provision in the Indian Railway’s reservation slip to mention whether you are a Doctor. Thank the vision.

The TTE managed to get the full set of reservation charts. Together we sat and scanned charts after charts and finished all the sleeper coaches. There were no traveling doctors. My eye sight got blurred as hopes to find out one faded.

The only charts left were that of the air conditioned compartments. TTE was making a last minute search. I was also peeping in, but without any use. Suddenly the TTE got up and exclaimed! “Yes, here is a doctor couple. We searched for one, but we got two!”

He suggested me to go personally and request the doctor for a visit. I came to know that the doctor’s coach was quite far. One will have to walk through the moving train and cross nine compartments crossing vestibules to reach there.

I set off my mission but found out soon that task was too tough. Some of coaches were heavily crowded with standing passengers and their luggage. No one was willing to give way. I had to wriggle through the crowd often facing the wrath of those guys. Some one even shouted and abused.

No comments:

Post a Comment